"Scars On Broadway is now operational."

Discuss anything Scars on Broadway related in this sub-forum.
systemofadownlive

Re: "Scars On Broadway is now operational."

Postby systemofadownlive » February 25th, 2012, 12:57 pm

toomerj-v2.0 wrote:surprised no one has cottoned onto "is now operational"??

At The Drive In - "This Station Is Now Operational". Guys that formed the Mars Volta, which have reformed recently!?! They are releasing a new album this year and will probably be touring. System and the Mars Volta have toured together in the past....soooo, I think it would be a pretty good guess to say Scars might support At The Drive In at any upcoming tour?

It's a long shot...but the similarities in use of phrase are quite interesting...loving the song so far..glad to see Daron has been busy and is creating music that already is capturing the imagination!!

when i saw the tweet my first thought was ATDI

mom45

Postby mom45 » February 25th, 2012, 3:34 pm

EdoI wrote:mom45, where did you get that information?

John's FB, the "friend" page which is private, not the "fan" page. (He hasn't kicked me out yet & I'm honored)

I told him how much I appreciated that little snippet, and others agreed with me. And he responded:

"im not playing on it guys, its daron"

Well, you know, Daron always said, "I'm a drummer in my head", right?

Sugest

Postby Sugest » February 25th, 2012, 7:25 pm

mom45 wrote:

John's FB, the "friend" page which is private, not the "fan" page. (He hasn't kicked me out yet & I'm honored)

I told him how much I appreciated that little snippet, and others agreed with me. And he responded:

Danny Shamoun: This Album is all Daron Playing everything

FilipHolm

Postby FilipHolm » February 25th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Sugest wrote:
mom45 wrote:

Danny Shamoun: This Album is all Daron Playing everything

That's... weird? Why wouldn't he let John play the drums? That plus the "housed alone/arrived on separate plane" thing makes we sort of... concerned about Daron and his lonelyness...
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/FilipHolm9

Or just add me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/filipekholm
Or Both... Or none of them...

mom45

Postby mom45 » February 25th, 2012, 7:49 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned. Daron is a talented multi-instrumentalist like Serj, and maybe he just feels challenged to see what he can do all by himself. Just like Serj did in Elect the Dead.

Wait......

:o

*sighs*

Well, he'll need help when he goes on tour, right? IF they go on tour.

toomerj-v2.0

Postby toomerj-v2.0 » February 25th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Interesting to hear it's all Daron..but not surprising either.

Dominic said he knew nothing about it and Franky is helping Jackson Guthy (after being replaced as his guitarist - for a younger...more "13 yr old girl crush" friendly guitarist) as his mentor/producer(?).

However, the fact that he hasn't had John in to drum is a little puzzling I guess. Whilst SOAD's and Scars' drumming has never been overly complex (its simplicity is what often makes it so effective) I do wonder how far Daron can stretch himself in terms on drumming. John is a very sharp, technical drummer and I hope his edge won't be missed, but I'm pretty confident Daron wouldn't have turned to pro tools for the drumming and would have done them himself.

In terms of touring, if it happens...I can't see why the entire band wouldn't return to do it all live.

I suspect we'll find out more officially, within 2 weeks or so. But in the mean time, those capable of contacting John, Danny etc...try and find out as much info as possible!

holysong

Postby holysong » February 25th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Playing/doing everything singlehandedly usually means average quality unless Daron proves this wrong :geek:

Sugest

Postby Sugest » February 26th, 2012, 12:23 am

holysong wrote:Playing/doing everything singlehandedly usually means average quality unless Daron proves this wrong :geek:

Actually, I think it should be an outstanding album. In my opinion, it SHOULD be better than Mezmerize/Hypnotize. Why such a thought when there are only 40 seconds of audio available?
First, we all know that these last two albums were largely a work of Daron. Musically and vocally too (60/40). The result was astounding! This is history.
Scars released their debut album in 2008. I do not question the effort that Daron was able to put in his album, I even loved the CD, but something was missing, a special spice. Songs like Babylon and They Say remain on my mp3 player, but Cute Machines was off for a while. Moreover, critics and sales were not very favorable, as we all know. Daron takes it very personal. I remember (and I'd like to have the link if anyone is able to find it) to a very old spectacle, it must be in the very late 1990s, someone had sent a letter to Daron to tell him that his music was bad and he had screaming with rage at the show about it.
However, he canceled his tour, it was not a good period of his life. Between the stop of the tour until the last two performances he gave, he had enough time to meditate on the subject. He probably had to go through anger and sadness. When he get back on scene, I was amazed by Talking Shit, what a wonderful song. After that, SOAD was back. He had enough time to get reacquainted with its old roots, which is good in my opinion. And then came Guns are loaded. The short preview was perfect for my taste.

Edit :
John Dolmayan : im not on this scars album

Teh_the_dark_lord

Postby Teh_the_dark_lord » February 26th, 2012, 2:22 am

This is interesting, and I don't know if I like the fact that Daron is taking over the drums. From the 'Guns Are Loaded' sample, the drums sound great, but will he succeed in playing as fast and powerfully as John played on the some of the Scars songs? If the answer is "no", then I have another question: Are we going to see a generally slower Scars album?

Songs like 'Serious' and 'Fucking' come to mind when trying to imagine Daron drumming instead of John.

This is Daron's craft though, so I do have faith that he knows exactly what he's doing. My tastes nowadays make me more interested in a new Scars album as opposed to an SOAD album.

ONE LAST THING: Maybe Daron and Serj have finally agreed to do an SOAD album following their next solo albums and tour cycles. While this is pure speculation, do you think it's possible Daron is going to keep John out of Scars entirely (as in not even using him on the tour)? My reasoning is that maybe Daron wants to create a bigger difference between Scars and SOAD so that when SOAD finally record a new album, it won't seem like Scars featuring Serj. Again, this last part is pure speculation but I think I may be on to something here.

Slasher

Postby Slasher » February 26th, 2012, 5:51 am

Interesting opinion Sugest... May be correct, but I’m not sure about it. The second possibility is that Daron just doesn’t really care that much about all the material sh*t and all he cares about is A+ quality music. If he was into marketing, then you know.. It just would’t make sense to me WHY he’d break everything days before taking off to all-american tour and Jimmy Kimmel Show? I do believe in the family business theory...

And critics weren’t that bad.

And D. playin drums on the record? Why not, maybe he mastered his skills. Don’t forget he’s a perfectionist.

Teh_the_dark_lord wrote:This is Daron's craft though, so I do have faith that he knows exactly what he's doing.

Exactly...

I’m curious what happens with playing live after releasing this one.

sob-cz.blogspot.com -- last.fm/user/slasher13 -- facebook.com/slasheroid -- soadfans.cz -- SOADfans.com: mrnovotny

"The music of Scars will live on." - Daron, 10-07-'08

Return to “Scars on Broadway”